Friday, November 21, 2008

Will Pay to Work for Free

Un-friggin-believable this is, if true.

According to mediabistro.com, Room to Grow is celebrating its 10th anniversary at Christie's in NYC. Among the festivities: internships at Vanity Fair and Rolling Stone to be auctioned off. In other words, you can buy your way into an unpaid temporary position.

Just for fun - OK, and to procrastinate a little - I did some snooping. Room to Grow is indeed having their wing-ding at Christie's, and indeed there is an auction. But what they're auctioning isn't disclosed on the website. If it turns out to be true, though, that's a bit troublesome to me.

It wouldn't be the first time: in May the Associated Press reported that a man got an internship at GQ Magazine for his son. How? By paying more than $30,000 - on EBay.

Unless this is common practice, I take this as a bad sign. And if it is common practice, it seems like a pretty iffy one. My understanding was always that internships (and paid jobs) were landed on the basis of merit, not moolah. Readers, I'm appealing to both of you to enlighten me on this point.

2 comments:

ANNA-LYS said...

________________I Have
_______________Come Here
______________To Wish You
_____________Merry Christmas
____________And Also, A Happy
___________New Year To You For
__________2009... I Hope The New
_________Year Brings You Loads Of
________Happiness And Good Health.
______I Hope You Have A Nice Day On
_____Christmas Day, Filled With Lots Of
____Family Time.....And Of Course Eating
___Lots Of Nice Foods, And Candies. I Hope
__That Santa Is Good To You As Well And He
.Brings You Lots Of Presents On Christmas Day
_______________XXXXXXXX
_______________XXXXXXXX
_______________XXXXXXXX
_______________XXXXXXXX..

jacob longshore said...

Thank you, my friend! But whither hast thou gone? I wonder, and hope you're doing well; best wishes from the Wordverter Chronicles, hope to see you again soon.